Quotes

"I've found that when life's brush obscures my view with gloomy strokes that seem to mar the scene, God's hand appears and gives to sunless hue and dreary skies a more majestic sheen." Gustafson

28 February 2009

DAY 24

I'm watching the glistening white snow fall from the sky as I type and reflect on my day. I love what our Teaching Pastor shared at Church tonight. "There are NO accidents in God's economy, only incidents. They are for God's glory and our good." He also shared something a counseling friend once asked him, "When will you embrace suffering as your friend?" When something or someone shakes our world, we try to fix, replace or medicate it. He really drove home the point that as a society, we love comfort. We have access to so many resources, so many technologies to keep us comfortable. I realized as he was talking, that I don't like suffering. I do everything possible to hide/run from it. Namely, stuff my emotions with food. It's too hard to deal with pain and really sit in it instead of running.

I've noticed in the last few days that because I gave up something for Lent, I've been turning to other foods to fill that void. Which I realize isn't healthy but I recognize this pattern in my life.

HIGHLIGHTS
*It's becoming easier to say NO to certain foods. I turned down a plate of cookies this evening which felt very freeing.
*Still NO WORKOUT today...I've REALLY been slacking this week on my workouts and have got to get back in the game.

Looking forward to the new day....

3 comments:

Allison said...

Thanks for this! I hope you don't mind but I even fwded the first part to Justin...We BOTH struggle with the same issues. I appreciate your courage to share :)

Brooke said...

Thank you, friend! No, I don't mind at all. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello : )
Buying things on line or in-store? which would you like? actually wondering lol.. i favor in-store only because i don't really like waiting for it to arrive!
Cheers
Isabella