Quotes

"I've found that when life's brush obscures my view with gloomy strokes that seem to mar the scene, God's hand appears and gives to sunless hue and dreary skies a more majestic sheen." Gustafson

12 February 2009

DAY 8

It's been one week since I started this commitment and one of the benefits of this is that I've lost 3 lbs! I'm so encouraged! But much more than just shedding some weight, I feel so much more connected with God. Spiritually I feel like I'm growing, even though it's been really hard. I believe God is allowing me to wait on Him and of course, he led me to this verse early this morning!

Psalm 130: 5-6
"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning."

To continue on the path of what a quest is, I looked up the word "quest" online and it led me to something called a vision quest.

"A vision quest is a rite of passage in some Native American cultures."

"In many Native American groups, the vision quest is a turning point in life taken before puberty to find oneself and the intended spiritual and life direction. When an older child is ready, he or she will go on a personal, spiritual quest alone in the wilderness, often in conjunction with a period of fasting. This usually lasts for a number of days while the child is tuned into the spirit world. Usually, a Guardian animal will come in a vision or dream, and the child's life direction will appear at some point. The child returns to the tribe, and once the child has grown, will pursue that direction in life. After a vision quest, the child may apprentice an adult in the tribe of the shown direction."

First of all, God is growing my love for the Native American culture so of course this stood out to me. In some respects, I feel like I'm on a "vision quest"(although I hit puberty many moons ago!). I'm at a turning point in life to find myself in Christ and while I have amazing support from my husband, friends and family, this is something I have to do alone. I feel like I'm more in tune with God than I have been in a long time. These 90 days mark the beginning of my quest.

HIGHLIGHTS:
*I didn't obsess about food all day long, which is rare.
*I was able to throw away some of my lunch instead of cleaning my plate (for the wrong reasons) and overeating.
*I stared at a biscotti calling my name in the kitchen at work but realized that I don't have to eat it just because it's there. I wasn't even hungry although after I left it and walked away, my tummy started rumbling...but I didn't turn back and eat it like I would have in the past.
*No workout today - jam packed day.
*Turned down pizza and cupcakes at a birthday party and chose the salad bar and a Sonic latte instead (still working on my Sonic drink addiction!).

Moving forward....

No comments: