Quotes

"I've found that when life's brush obscures my view with gloomy strokes that seem to mar the scene, God's hand appears and gives to sunless hue and dreary skies a more majestic sheen." Gustafson

18 December 2009

Day 4....post Christmas party part deux

My day started out pretty stressed and emotional. The van wouldn't start and my heart is heavy with other things going on all around us. I first wanted to turn to food. The stress triggered my need to have control. And believe me, there's plenty in the office for me to fill-up on. BUT, I chose to pray and suck on my bottle of water instead of wallowing in food. Thank you, Lord that I chose YOU over food this time!!

It's 10:56PM and if you can believe it (I'm still in disbelief!), I just finished a 20 minute strength training workout post Christmas party! I seriously came down to the bonus room to do a quick 10 minute cardio set just to get in my workout for the day but I WANTED to do more!! I'm so happy to report that I went to the Christmas feast well prepared so I wouldn't throw in the towel and stuff my face. I must have a plan...and it worked! I wrote down all the calories for the things I knew I'd love and want and took my cheat-sheet to the party. I added filler foods like strawberries, apple slices, carrots and celery and for dessert only had 2 red. fat vanilla wafers, 1 TBSP of chocolate chip ball and 2 small peppermint patties. Definitely a milestone for me in that normally I would've hovered over the dessert table and gorged myself. :) It also helped that one of my dearest friends (who follows my blog) was standing with me at the dessert table so I had someone to watch what I put on my plate. Accountability definitely works!

We did the sneaky santa gift exchange and believe it or not, my present was a bag of Kettle corn (one of my favs!), chocolate covered fruit and black bean salsa. Somehow, I picked the only food item and I love it (in moderation of course!). :)

So thankful for a healthy ending to the day!

Goals met today:
Calories: 1500 (possibly a little over because of all the fruit and veggies I ate at dinner)
Workout: 20 minute strength training

Abundance is....a fun-filled evening with friends!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the control you have! Seriously inspirational. I'm really trying to do better, my main thing is I get so busy and I forget to eat my real meals and then look for something quick. GOT to stop that!

And a wise woman (Felicia Biles) once said in our First Place group that nobody ever got fat off eating fruits and vegetables. I think if those are the calories that take you over your daily goal you are doing great!

Brooke said...

Thanks, Rachel! Something that helps me is having pre-sliced apple packs, cheese sticks and baby carrots around and readily available so I can grab those when I get the munchies. Today I "feasted" on Kettle Corn, 2 1/4 cups is only 130 calories and it helps with the sweet/salty cravings.

Love Felicia and love her quote!! Thanks so much for your encouragement and comments!! Love you friend!